Monday, 12 August 2013

Kuku Warns Niger-Delta Students Against Pagiarising In The US



 Plagiarism is a serious crime in the United States, Special Adviser to the President on Niger Delta, Hon. Kingsley Kuku has warned.
Admonishing 36 students from the Niger Delta region departing for the United States of America for undergraduate studies, Kuku advised them to manage their upkeep allowances prudently and shun ostentatious lifestyle in order not to be broke and run into temptations.
Speaking through his Technical Assistant and Head of the Reintegration Unit, Mr. Lawrence Pepple at an orientation programme for the students in Abuja on Friday, Kuku noted that while many may have indulged in plagiarism in Nigeria and escaped the long arm of the law, it is a different kettle of fish in the United States of America and is considered as one of the worst crimes there.
He therefore urged them to be good ambassadors of Nigeria everywhere they find themselves.

Kano Flood Kills One, Destroys 434 Houses

Flood on Friday killed one person and destroyed 434 houses following a heavy rainfall in Kano metropolis. The Executive Secretary of the State Emergency Relief and Rehabilitation Agency (SERERA), Alhaji Ali Bashir, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) after assessing the situation in Kano on Saturday.
He said the deceased died on Friday night after he fell in Katsaiki River at Darmanawa in Kumbotso local Government area of the state.
He said out of the number of affected houses, 408 were destroyed in Kano metropolis while the remaining 26 houses were located in Dawakin-Tofa local government area.
He said the state Deputy Governor, Dr Abdullahi Ganduje, had directed the agency to take all the pictures of the affected houses and assess the extent of damage caused to property.
He said Ganduje told the agency to forward the report to his office for immediate assistance to the victims of the disaster.
Bashir, however, called on the people of the state to clear the drains in their respective houses to prevent future occurrence.
NAN recalls that 20 corpses were unearthed by flood at Yan’ Kaba cemetery in Kano metropolis on Friday. (NAN)

Emir Of Kano Lauds FG, Kano State Over Security

The Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero, has lauded the effort of the federal and Kano State governments in providing adequate security of lives and properties of the citizenry.
Speaking yesterday through his senior counsellor, Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Wamban Kano, who led other council members and district heads to pay a Sallah homage to the state acting Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, at the Government House Kano, Bayero stressed the importance of peace and stability to the development of any society, while also charging residents of the state to continue to support and cooperate with security agencies in the task ahead.
The Emir also appealed to the people of the state to continue to support and cooperate with their elected representatives at the state and federal levels for the provision of more democracy dividends.
Governor of Kano State, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, represented by his deputy, Alhaji Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, had earlier in his remarks, commended the role being played by the traditional rulers in the maintenance of law and order and pledged to continue to partner with them for the development of the state.
Kwankwaso used the opportunity to call on residents of the state not to relent in doing everything possible to clear their drainage to avoid flood that will lead to possible loss of lives and properties.
According to him, this is necessary as government will not be able to reach the nooks and crannies of the state without the helping hand of the residents by engaging in proper refuse disposal, saying government will ensure early evacuation of the refuse.
He also prayed for quick recovery of the Emir who was outside the country for medical treatment.

Kudirat’s Murder: We’ve Forgiven Al-Mustapha, Shofolahan, Says Eldest Son

All those allegedly involved in the murder of Alhaja Kudirat Abiola, wife of acclaimed winner of the 1993 Presidential election, Chief Moshood Abiola, have been forgiven, her eldest son, Lekan, has declared. He spoke weekend at the Ikeja Lagos residence of the late MKO Abiola when family members and children of the late politician gathered to observe the Eid-el-Fitr Sallah festival.
The occasion was made merrier by the birthday ceremony organised by Abiola’s second son from late Kudirat, Alhaji Jamiu Abiola, whose two children, Amne and Assydeen, turned five and one respectively.
Lekan was reacting to the July 12 acquittal of former Chief Security Officer (CSO) to General Sani Abacha, Major Hamza al-Mustapha and a former Protocol Officer to the late MKO, Alhaji Lateef Shofolahan, from the death sentence earlier proclaimed on them by Justice Mojisola Dada of the Lagos High Court, for killing his mother.
“We have forgiven them though the judgment goes a long way to show that this country needs a lot of help and divine intervention. There is not much we can do except pray that God comes to the aid of this country”, he prayed.
He added: “As Muslims, we have to accept whatever happens to us, the good and the bad. My mother was killed, she has gone, she is not going to come back for any reason again, whoever was involved would receive their punishment one day no doubt about that.
“We have, however, left the judgment to God; we do not have any animosity towards anybody. If according to human law, the Nigerian law, they are said not to be guilty, then so be it.
“One may escape human judgment but the judgment of God is still there. We harbour no anger any longer.
“When we first heard the judgment, we felt bad, but with the passing of days and then the fasting period, we have left everything to God.”

52-year-old Midwife Gives Birth After 19 Years Of Marriage

A 52-year-old midwife at the General Hospital, Sagbama, Bayelsa State, said she gave birth to a baby girl on June 3 to end 19 years of barrenness.
Fezigha gave the testimony at the Child Dedication and Thanksgiving Service of the baby christened Prudent, in Yenagoa on Sunday.
According to her, she got married at the age of 33 in 1994 and had supervised the delivery of many children and witnessed the joy and feeling of many mothers during labour and child birth.
She said an attempt to adopt a child from a Bayelsa-based Orphanage was fruitless as she was swindled by the purported coordinator of the home.
Sadly, her chances of conception were further reduced on attainment of menopause when she ceased to observe her monthly menstrual cycle.
But the arrival of Prudent changed her story and brought joy and consolation to the family.
The elated mother said that the conception and delivery of the miracle baby was “the Lord’s doing”.
Fezigha said the pressure became unbearable during the 19 years of waiting, and she took stock of her service as a midwife but she managed to remain steadfast in her trust in God.
“It was not an easy experience to see others through the child bearing process and not to have your own child. And it is particularly touching when I have had a very successful professional practice as a midwife.
“I have not lost any baby or mother under my care as a midwife under the Bayelsa Government,” she recalled.
She continued: “I was worried that many of the children I had taken delivery of during service were now parents.
“I even reflected and wondered why is it that that despite the fact that no child had died in my hand during delivery as midwife, why can’t I have my own, but a voice kept telling me to redouble my effort and I shall be blessed. But the mysterious voice started reducing in my head as I was losing hope.
“I decided to adopt a baby from an orphanage and I was duped. At this stage, I deliberately killed the voice and hand it all to God.
“I asked him that I will not disturb him any longer. And if he decides to give me a child, so be it,” Fezigha said in her testimony.
Narrating her experience with childlessness Fezigha, explained that at a stage in her life, her mysterious sickness led her to take a scan and it was diagnosed to be either a ‘fibroid or Cyst’.
According to her, another scan later revealed that she was pregnant. I had mixed feelings after the second scan.
“I even told my husband that it is false pregnancy. When my husband asked me what that meant, I became his lecturer telling him what he meant and saw the expectation of a pregnancy in his eyes.
“Few months later, I started seeing some changes in my body. Throughout this period, I could not go to work and had to be hospitalised twice before I delivered.
“Those who knew me could not believe it and screamed when they see my swollen stomach. When they see me, they scream and shout praise the Lord,” she said amidst joy.
Fezigha, said that her family is full of praise to God, “all the period of waiting was not easy, but I am comforted by the word of God.
“Let me advice women that are hoping for a child to put their faith in God. God will give them a child and they should not patronise native doctors.” [NAN]

A Cry For Help: 14-year-old Diagnosed With Cancer Of The Brain Needs N5m For Surgery

A 14-year-old girl diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of brain tumour known as Brain Stem Glioma has called on the Anambra State Governor, Dr Peter Obi, and all well-meaning Nigerians at home and abroad, to assist her in raising N5 million to undergo an urgent brain surgery. Onyiyechi Mary-Colette Okafor, a JSS 2 student of Ajeromi/Ifelodun High School,Lagos hails from Utuh, in Nnewi South LGA of Anambra State, lies critically ill at Ward D3 of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, LUTH, Idi Araba, Lagos following diagnosis of her brain condition.
Calling for help through her aunt, Ms. Obiageli Ulasi, Onyinyechi is appealing to the Anambra governor for assistance in raising the N5 million that will afford her access to adequate treatment and care in an Indian hospital.
“I implore you sir, with due respect and humility, to use your good office as my Governor, my mentor and my father, to enable me get a new lease of life through this surgery,” she remarked.
Onyinyechi, the third of five children born to Aloysious and Grace Okafor of 34, Osho Drive, Olodi-Apapa in Lagos was diagnosed with the condition on April 27, a condition that has now left the entire left side of her body is paralysed.
A medical report from LUTH described Onyinyechi as “a known patient of the Haematology and Oncology Unit of the hospital who presented two months ago with a one month history of headache and inability to use the left side of the body.”
According to the report signed by Professor Edamisan Temiye, a CT scan revealed the brain tumour which is being managed with radiotherapy and dexamethasone. Already, she has had 20 sessions of the radiotherapy, and requires an additional 10. The doctor recommended further evaluation and expert care.
Speaking on her niece’s ordeal, Obiageli stated, “Onyinyechi just woke up one morning complaining of dizziness, a nagging headache and general body weakness. She was hospitalised four days after an initial medical diagnosis of typhoid and malaria. But there wasn’t much improvement. She kept complaining of progressive weakness and paralysis on the left side of the body, so she was taken to another hospital from where she was referred to LUTH where the brain tumour diagnosis was confirmed.
Onyinyechi’s only hope of living a better life is to be flown abroad.
“We have contacted Yakoda Hospital in India, which has assessed her case and given us a breakdown of treatment expenses to the tune of N5 million. This would cover surgery, drugs, transportation, and accommodation for six weeks for Onyinyechi and her mother who would accompany her. The hospital is ready to comence treatment but financial constraint is hampering us,” Obiageli said.
She therefore appealed to well-meaning Nigerians to help in raising the money required for the surgery.
“We are appealing to Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State in particular and all Nigerians to please help save this soul. Let us give Onyinyechi the opportunity and ability to live again,” she pleaded.

Former Vice President, Atiku Abukakar: “I Am Not As Rich As Don Jazzy”

In a question and answer session on Twitter, former Nigeria Vice President Atiku Abubakar was asked by one of his followers why he does not do give giveaways on Twitter like popular Nigerian music producer Don Jazzy, the Adamawa born politician didn’t waste time in replying by saying he is not as rich as Don Jazzy.
Read his Tweet below…..