There are indications that the Federal Government and university
lecturers have began new talks to end the on-going strike in
universities across the nation. Yesterday, Minister of Labour and Productivity, Emeka Wogu, announced
that it has entered into fresh negotiation with Academic Staff Union of
Universities (ASUU). Leading the negotiation the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim. Wogu speaking to the Bamanga Tukur-led leadership of Peoples
Democratic Party (PDP) National Working Committee (NWC) on the
activities of his ministry said that the government was not comfortable
with the original agreement, which he described as complex. “We have made offer to ASUU. It is as complex as presented.
Negotiation is ongoing. The National Assembly is equally involved,” he
said. “We believe they will soon call off the strike. I personally and passionately appeal to them to call off the strike.” “It will not affect the negotiation if they call off the strike. It
is better for them to be inside than outside. Students have equally
appealed to them.” ”The nine-point agreements ASUU signed with Federal Government were:
funding requirements for revitalisation of Nigerian universities and
Federal Government’s assistance to state universities.” According to reports, they also agreed on payment of earned
allowances, including the establishment of NUPEMCO and progressive
increase in annual budgetary allocation to education to 26 percent
between 2009 and 2020, an amendment of the pension/retirement age of
academics on the professorial cadre from 65 to 70 years, reinstatement
of prematurely dissolved governing councils and transfer of Federal
Government landed property to universities. There was also an agreement on setting up of research development
council and provision of research equipment to laboratories and
classrooms in universities.
Wednesday, 24 July 2013
Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney willing to move to Arsenal
Wayne Rooney would consider a transfer to Arsenal, but only should his talks with Chelsea fall through. According to The Daily Mail,
not only would Rooney be fine with moving to North London, but Arsenal
would also gladly break tradition and meet his astronomical wage
demands, offering him £200,000 per week for five years. Chelsea are still very much favourites for the United forward’s
signature after officially lodging an offer of £23m plus £2.5m in
clauses last week. Rooney has two years remaining on his £240,000 per
week contract, but both Chelsea and Arsenal would be happy to take him
off of new United manager David Moyes’ hands. With recent complaints about being left out of the team and a slip
down the pecking order, made particularly clear following his Champions
League semifinal snub against Real Madrid, Rooney is said to be drawn to
the Arsene Wenger’s promise of building the team around him, should he
sign. Sir Alex Ferguson had a particularly tumultuous relationship with the
forwards towards the end of his United reign, and Moyes has failed to
provide the clarification of his squad role which Rooney so clearly
desires.
Minister of state for health leaves Jonathan’s cabinet
The Minister of State for Health Dr. Ali Pate, resigned on Wednesday in Abuja.
His voluntary resignation has been accepted by President Goodluck
Jonathan and this was disclosed by Dr. Reuben Abati to the State
House correspondents as his resignation takes immediate effect. Reports say Pate was leaving the Goodluck Jonaathan cabinet to take
up a position as professor in Duke University’s Global Health Institute,
USA. He said in his new capacity, he would participate in a
university-wide Africa initiative and would also serve as Senior Adviser
to Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation based in Washington DC. Pate, however, offered to continue to serve the
Jonathan’s administration as honorary advisor on the polio eradication
initiative and Save one million lives of Women and Children initiative
which he was in charge of. “As we have discussed, I wish to offer the continuation of my
service on part time basis as Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on
Polio Eradication and Public Private Coalition on Saving one million
live initiative. “If you agree, in fulfilment of my previous commitment to see to
the conclusion of these important national priorities, this may entail
an honorary advisory role reporting directly to you progress at least on
quarterly basis,’’ he said.
Abati, said that in accepting the minister’s resignation, the President was “highly elated that his star-studded cabinet was attracting required global attention.’’ He said that the President saw the appointment as a plus for the administration and the country. Abati said Jonathan commended Pate for the integrity and competence he brought on board while carrying out his duties first as the Chief Executive of the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) and later as a minister.He recalled that another cabinet member, the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, was one of those shortlisted for the position of the World Bank’s President in 2012. “The cabinet is full of very distinguished men and women, people with not only national, but also international recognition. “The President congratulated the minister and accepted his offer to continue to serve on a part-time basis as honorary adviser. “It is a positive development that we have people who are recognised globally,’’ he said. Pate, from Bauchi State, had resigned his appointment from the World Bank Office in 2008, to come back home to join the public service after 15 years in the Diaspora. He served first, as the Chief Executive of the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) and as cabinet minister in the past two years with the portfolio as Minister of State in the Federal Ministry of Health.
Tonto Dikeh Angry With Best Friend Rukky Sanda For Attending Yvonne Nelson’s Movie Premiere
It
appears Tonto Dikeh is mad at best friend Rukky for attending Yvonne
Nelson’s premiere of House of Gold, that held last Friday, July 19,
2013. Movie Moments disclosed that
Rukky had showed up at the premiere after invitations were duly sent to
her by the organizers of the movie premiere. Though
her presence caused stir-with her boob revealing dress-celebrities in
the know wondered how she intends to deal with her buddy, Tonto, after
showing up her perceived enemy’smovie premiere. Tonto
Dikeh is widely known to have drawn a war path with Yvonne Nelson since
their short-lived romances with music rave, Iyanya. Unconfirmed
sources are however insinuating that Rukky might have covertly parted
ways with Tonto long time ago before deciding to rock the boat with
Yvonne.
Van Persie's injury is not believed to be serious
Manchester United manager David Moyes has more than pre-season
defeats to worry about as his star-striker Robin van Persie came off
during their recent loss to Yokohama after picking up a thigh injury.
It hasn't been announced how bad the injury is, but after seeing the
Dutchman holding his thigh and struggling to move fluently, Moyes
decided to bring him off and will now await test results to find out how
severe the injury is. Despite the injury to Van Persie, Moyes has received some good news
in the form of Wayne Rooney recovering quicker than expected from his
hamstring injury and he is expected to be fit in a couple of weeks,
rather than a month, which was first thought. Talking in an interview after the pre-season defeat, Moyes confirmed
that Van Persie had picked up a knock, and also revealed Danny Welbeck
has a niggle as well. "We’ve got a couple of wee worries," Moyes told reporters. "Robin just felt his thigh in the first half and we didn’t want to take any chances. "Danny Welbeck also felt his groin when he went on and we’ve just got
to make sure they’re all OK, especially with so many games coming up. "We’ve still got a few games to play before the season starts when we get back home. "As far as we know, Wayne is coming on. He’s started light jogging
and the feedback I’m getting from the physios is that he’s progressing.
Hopefully those dates are still on track." After talking about Rooney's fitness levels, Moyes was then asked
about the striker's future and once again he remained adamant on keeping
the 27-year-old. "We have said he is not for sale and our stance hasn’t changed."
7 International Celebrities You Didn't Know Were Nigerian
This list has dug a little deeper and discovered 7 more celebrities you never thought could be Nigerian. Get ready to be shocked as we present you 7 well-known International celebs who are Fellow Nigerians;
1) Hugo Weaving- Do you remember Agent Smith in Matrix? Yes! Neo’s arch-rival is Nigerian. How? Well the 53 year old actor was born in Nigeria at
the University College Hospital in Ibadan. This makes him Nigerian by
birth. His parents moved back to England a year after. Hugo Weavinghas acted in several blockbusters such as V For Vendetta, The Matrix Trilogy and Lord of The Rings Trilogy, Transformers Trilogy, The Hobbit Trilogy and Captain America. Who said Ibadan boys don’t go far?
2) Taio Cruz- The 25 year old British singer is of Nigerian heritage. He was born to a Nigerian father and Brazilian mother. Taio Cruz who started penning songs at 12, began writing professionally 7 years later. He released his debut album Departure in 2008. The following year he released his sophomore Rokstarr which featured the hit song ‘Dynamite’. He dropped his 3rd album TY.O three
years ago. Taio Cruz has won several awards including the BRIT Awards,
Billboard Music Awards, ASCAP Awards and American Music Awards.
3) Tyler the Creator- Yes, do not be shocked. The ‘Black Eminem’ is Nigerian. Tyler the Creator’s actual names are Tyler Okonma. His father is Igbo. The leader of the music collective ‘Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All’ claims he never met his father. Maybe that is why he is not too fond of him. In 2009 Tyler released his first album Bastard. His
buzz started growing from then on mainly backed by his offensive,
homophobic and disgusting lyrics. He released his second albumGoblin two
years later and became a national sensation without the backing of any
major record label in America. He released his third album Wolf this year.
4) Dizzie Rascal- Dizzie (Dylan Kwabena Mills) is one
of the most respected rappers in the UK and also happens to be Nigerian.
His Nigerian father died when he was young and he was raised by his
Ghanaian mum. He had a rebellious childhood and that’s how he got the
name Rascal. He was a friend of Nigerian footballer Danny Shittu when he
was a kid. At 16 he produced his first single ‘I Luv U’ and in 2002
formed the collective Roll Deep Crew. Dizzie Rascal has released 5 solo
albums till date making him one of the biggest rappers in the UK. He
performed at the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics in London and won
the Best International Act at the BET Awards in 2010.
5) Richard Ayoade- This is another Brit-Nigerian. Richard Ayoade was
born to a Nigerian father and Norwegian mother. The 36 year old
comedian, actor and writer has written several awards winning stage
plays in the UK. He is also a known face on British TV having starred in
the highly popular The IT Crowd. He made his Hollywood debut in 2012 after starring in the comedy The Watchalongside Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn and Jonah Hill.
6) Donald Adeosun Faison: Fans of the popular television Comedy-drama "Scrubs" would know this one. Not only is he one of our favorite character, you probably didn't know this American actor's middle name is Yoruba.
7) Lemar: Lemar Obika (born 4 April 1978), professionally known simply as Lemar, is an English R&B singer–songwriter and record producer. His Nigerian fans probably didn't know that the UK singer who was born in Tottenham, England is son to Nigerian parents of Enugu State, South Eastern Nigeria.
Real Reasons Tonto Dikeh And Mercy Johnson Are At Loggerheads
The battle going on between these two controversial actresses, Mercy
Johnson and Tonto Dikeh is not new to you, but many do not really know
the cause of this brouhaha. We gathered that Tonto was enjoying the best of her time when Mercy
got married and later got pregnant, reason being that, she became a hot
cake that producers request for in and out of Lagos. Mercy’s short
absence created enormous wealth for her and she was really feeding hard
on that. Now, Mercy is fit and active to return to her groove. Tonto, people
in the know, got threatened by that and she became so agitated she went
on social media to ridicule her rival. “Tonto has never liked Mercy. Starting from when Nollywood started
shifting ground to Asaba, Mercy was always in hot demand, which
obviously made Tonto to begin seeing her as a competitor. This, among
other things combined to make them impenitent enemies,” the source, who
is a stakeholder in the industry disclosed. Only God knows what will result to this fight. Meanwhile, the return
of Mercy Johnson is causing a lot of stir in Nollywood as all the
actresses are seeing it as a threat just like Tonto Dikeh.
Yap
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)












