Saturday, 17 August 2013

Christian Benteke hoping to get Aston Villa fans back on his side

Aston Villa have their first game of the 2013/14 Premier League season at 15:00 away to last season 4th-placed finishers Arsenal.
The biggest talking point of their pre-season campaign has been securing the future of striker Christian Benteke left. The Belgium international has signed a new deal with the Midlands side after previously handing in a transfer request amid interest from league compatriots Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, and Chelsea.
After committing his future to Aston Villa, at least for another season, Benteke is now eager to have the fans once again chanting his name. He knows the only way to do that is by rippling the net and winning games.
‘Looking at him since he’s come back from his break and the games he’s played he’s been excellent. He’s not lost his goalscoring exploits. To me, Christian is just getting better. He’s grown in confidence a lot. He’s a top footballer.’ – Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert.
Arsenal will pose stiff competition, but will be forced to name a depleted starting XI with a number of first-team personnel currently sidelined with injury. With increased pressure mounting on manager Arsene Wenger’s shoulders, many feel Aston Villa have the best opportunity to spring a surprise.
Christian Benteke will most-likely be named up front for the Villans, and could well get on the score sheet against a injury-ravaged Arsenal defence.
Many of Arsenal’s supporters requested the purchase of the Aston Villa striker this summer, but no official approach was made. A touch of irony could ensue from today’s game, but the Red side of London certainly won’t be in a good humour should the 22-year old steal the show.
Football pundits and experts are split in betting on a winner for today’s game. Arsenal have all their pressure squarely on them which could be detrimental on their overall performance.

Wayne Rooney could be the match-winner against Swansea

In the late fixture of the day, Manchester United face Swansea City away at the Liberty Stadium to start their defence of the Premier League crown.
Manchester United manager David Moyes looks set to name Robin Van Persie in the starting line-up as a lone striker.
However, the biggest talking point is want-away forward Wayne Rooney said to be starting on the bench for the Red Devils this weekend.
This summer, the 27-year old requested a move away from the side, but has so far failed in his quest as Manchester United have no plans to sell him – nor has a side made a bid anywhere near to the England international’s asking price.
Suffering from an apparent hamstring and shoulder injury, Rooney has missed all of the side’s pre-season fixtures, and he didn’t feature in the recent Community Shield victory to FA Cup holders Wigan Athletic.
That said, he played in England’s recent 3-2 victory over rivals Scotland in a pre-season friendly – playing over an hour and putting in a decent performance for a man not deemed match-fit.
His immediate future still has question marks over it, but many feel he’s staying with the Premier League holders regardless. It looks as though he will be integrated back into the side slowly to work his way into the first-team.
Their opponents this evening are stiff competition for many sides in the Premier League, and a side tipped to potentially emerge victors with home advantage. With United light on attacking options, as striker Javier Hernandez is a doubt, Rooney could well feature in coming off the bench.
He has the chance to be the potential match-winner, which would certainly go far to healing the soured relationship with the United supporters. Moyes would also be praised for his gamble paying off – should it work.

Daniel Sturridge to prove Liverpool do not need Luis Suarez

Liverpool face Stoke City today in the first Premier League game of the 2013/14 season. Home advantage is expected to play into their hands, and the Merseyside outfit are firm favourites for victory.
They will be without last season’s top goalscorer Luis Suarez right – who is serving six more games of a ten-match ban from the end of the 2012/13 campaign.
With the Uruguayan missing out, and having said he previously wanted to leave the side, Liverpool’s second top-scorer Daniel Sturridge left is hoping to show the supporters he can be the new number one striker this season.
Although injuring his ankle while on international duty against the Republic of Ireland, the 23-year old has boosted his match fitness in a recent friendly against Newcastle – grabbing a brace in a 3-1 victory.
Summer signing Iago Aspas could be in contention to start up front if Sturridge fails a late fitness test, so Liverpool could be light on attacking options.
Daniel Sturridge has eyes on the 2014 World Cup next summer, and is keen to play as many games as possible to keep himself in contention of making the final squad.
He joined Liverpool from league compatriots Chelsea during the January transfer window last season, and went on to score 10 goals from 14 Premier League games.
Prior to joining the Reds, he scored 24 goals from 96 games while playing primarily as a wide player for Chelsea.
This season, he is being tipped for great things for the Merseyside outfit.
‘He’s a really outstanding talent and has all the tools to be a leading marksman at this level. With his power, his pace, his quality and his finishing, I believe he can be up there. This year is important for him. He needs to score goals and create goals. If he does that, while working hard, I think England will have one of the top strikers in the Premier League.’ – Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers.
From what the England international showed last season at Liverpool, he’s certainly a dark-horse to win the golden boot for the 2013/14 campaign.

Tower Of Babel? Ogun To Build 60-Storey Building In Abeokuta

The demolition of the old secretariat at Oke-Ilewo in Abeokuta, Ogun State capital was completed on Friday in order to make way for the new Abeokuta City Centre project, the Lead Urban Designer and Project Director of Abeokuta City Centre – Mohammed Affez – has said.
Mr. Affez, who was speaking with journalists in the state capital, said the master plan of the project was being finalised and would include a 60-storey skyscraper intended to be the tallest in Africa.
He said the project would be handled and financed by Urbanisima Ltd., a Malaysian company.
“There would be adjoining structures which would redefine the landscape of the capital city.
“Others are shopping mall, recreation centre, signature tower, office complex, hotels and world class convention centre.”
The demolition is being carried out by China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCEC).
The state’s Technical Committee on the project recently visited Malaysia for a week-long training on the design of its master plan.
The project was initiated in 2009 by former Governor Gbenga Daniel administration when he relocated Ministries, Departments and Agencies to the new Secretariat at Oke-Mosan in Abeokuta.
(NAN).

Boko Haram Attack On Damboa Town In Borno Leaves 11 Dead

The northeast state of Borno on Thursday night witnessed yet another attack by suspected Islamic militants as no fewer than 11 persons were killed in Damboa town.
Witnesses said gunmen shot civilians and police in Damboa, about 85km from the state capital, Maiduguri.
The latest killing comes almost one week after suspected insurgents killed 44 people in a mosque in the nearby town of Konduga.
Local official Ayamu Lawan Gwasha said security forces repelled gunmen who attacked the police station and a military post in Damboa. Farmer Mustapha Aji said other militants gunned down civilians and firebombed about 20 homes.
He told the Associated Press that residents had the premonition of an impending attack following the deaths in Konduga and had asked for more security; which was yet to arrive.
Details of the attack are sketchy as there is no telecommunications network in Borno State since the declaration of emergency rule by President Goodluck Jonathan in May in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states in order to battle the militants.

Man United blow as another midfielder rules out move to Old Trafford

Manchester United target Claudio Marchisio says he wants to stay at Juventus - and is fed up with talk over his future.
David Moyes has had a fruitless transfer window so far, despite suggesting he wants to sign central midfielders.
The likes of Thiago Alcantara and Cesc Fabregas have slipped away and the United manager has a long-standing interest in Marchisio.
However, the Italy international will snub interest from Old Trafford to remain in Italy.
"I am staying here. I am happy at Juventus, but the fact that rumours keep emerging around me every summer is starting to get on my nerves," he said.

Spanish transfer news: Latest on Bale and Luiz, plus Madrid star wants Man City move

The opening fixtures of the Premier League and La Liga are nearly upon us, and that means that clubs in both countries are desperately working to tie up any loose ends in the transfer market and finalise their squads.
In the case of Tottenham, reports in Madrid today claim Gareth Bale will attempt to convince Daniel Levy to allow him to leave White Hart Lane, but alternative sources mention that the Spurs boss will continue to play hard-ball. For the latest on Bale from Spain, as well as news on David Luiz's Barcelona ambitions, Esteban Granero's QPR exit and more, read on...
Bale to ask Levy to facilitate Madrid move
Gareth Bale continues to dominate the headlines in the Madrid papers, and Marca's most recent report claims that the Welshman will today hold a meeting with Daniel Levy in an attempt to force his transfer to Real Madrid. Marca say that a 'solution' to the Bale saga is growing near, and that he will 'speak with Daniel Levy today' in a 'tense reunion', with the principle goal of 'demanding that Levy keeps his word and allows him to join Real Madrid'.
Marca add that Los Blancos are banking on the conversation between the pair, seeing it as a definitive step towards signing the player. They claim Bale will remind Levy that dragging out the situation will be of no benefit to either himself or Tottenham in an attempt to twist his superior's arm.
Spurs requested Madrid starlets but would concede to €110m for Bale
On the other side of Madrid, fellow daily paper AS are not so convinced the Bale situation will be resolved soon. They say Levy 'wants to make the negotiations long', though admit he has 'reduced his demands' somewhat. AS reveal that Madrid have recently resumed contact with Spurs, with their sources saying Levy would sign off on a deal worth €110m that included Fabio Coentrao.
Where things get complicated for both parties is their differing evaluations of Coentrao, however. While Real Madrid believe he is worth €25m, Spurs rate him at €20m, and Levy believes he has already conceded enough ground by accepting the left-back as part of a deal in the first place.
AS go on to quote a Tottenham source who admits the north London side initially 'wanted an attacking player, and requested either [Alvaro] Morata or Jese [Rodriguez], but they were both turned down'. AS further add that Coentrao's inclusion in a deal was a result of this rejection, with a sum of €90m plus the defender said to be Tottenham's conclusion on an arrangement that suits their interests.
Finally, the Madrid daily note that while 'Tottenham are in no rush to close a deal', they know the pressure on Bale will grow when the Premier League season begins and, as such, negotiations are destined to come to a conclusion 'sooner or later', with the same Tottenham source admitting that 'Bale has carried out a plan for three weeks, not wanting to train or play games, [and] has taken a final decision'.
Martin Demichelis favours City move
Elsewhere in AS, a brief report on Atletico Madrid's Martin Demichelis notes that the defender would favour a move to Manchester City this summer, after stories linking him with the English side emerged this week. They say the Argentine 'likes Pellegrini's team', but Atletico Madrid will 'try to make sure their recent signing doesn't abandon them'.
David Luiz tired of the Premier League?
Barcelona based Mundo Deportivo, who have notoriously good connections at the Catalan club, have today released more information on the Blaugrana's pursuit of David Luiz. MD say Luiz wants to play for Barcelona for 'sporting rather than economic reasons', adding that he has reached the conclusion that his style of play matches Barcelona better than Chelsea. They expand that Luiz also favours La Liga over the Premier League, where, despite the 'great atmosphere in the stadiums', he is 'tired of the style of play', with its 'constant back and forth and higher risk of injury'. Finally, they say the defender believes playing for Barcelona would put him in a better position ahead of the 2014 World Cup in his home country, Brazil.
Granero expected to be unveiled as Real Sociedad player
In news away from the bigger clubs, AS say Esteban Granero will be confirmed as a Real Sociedad player this week, with his agent Carlos Cuatropia telling them that 'though differences exist, if [negotiations] continue like this, there shouldn't be anything preventing the deal from being closed. He's very excited about the project at Real Sociedad'. They also quote Real Sociedad vice president Mikel Ubarretxena, who admits that 'in the coming days there will be news about a well known midfielder from La Liga who is currently playing abroad'.