Thursday, 22 August 2013

Man sets his 87-year-old mother on fire in Lagos

The Police in Lagos, yesterday, said they were on the trail of a man who allegedly burnt his 87-year-old mother to death in their Adekunle Yaba residence  in Lagos.

The fleeing assailant, 45-year-old Bamidele Bakare, was alleged to have set the building located on 16, Ishola Street ablaze in the early hours of Monday. Eye witnesses said before the building was set ablaze, Bamidele evacuated his five children and property from one of the rooms he occupied. While the building comprising eight rooms was on fire, occupants who were jolted from sleep reportedly scrambled out of their respective apartments for safety. Two of them who attempted to rescue the octogenarian identified as Folorunsho Bakare  who was fast asleep were reportedly prevented by Bamidele, whom they alleged threatened to set them ablaze too if they dared. Elder brother to the alleged assailant, Mr Olu Bakare, who reportedly rushed down from Jos, the Plateau State capital where he resides, expressed shock that his sibling could send their mother to her grave in such manner. He told a source yesterday: “As if the death of our mother was not enough, my brother  buried her charred remains without my consent.” Bakare said the burnt building was owned by him, adding that things fell apart between him and his younger brother after the latter allegedly stole documents of some of his property located in Jos and Lagos. Bakare said: “I took him to court and that was the beginning of his rift with me. I believe he set my mother on fire because of that. But what has that got to do with my 87-year-old mother? “When I heard the news, I took the next available vehicle to Lagos. I reported the matter to the Adekunle Police division, from where the Divisional Crime Officer and Inspector Crime followed me to ascertain the claim. “I was also asked to get two persons who saw when he was setting the building ablaze. I did and they attested to it. “They said when they wanted to rescue my mother, Bamidele told them to leave her to die, saying after all, she was his mother and that he was capable of burying her. After setting the building ablaze, he disappeared with his children.”

However, police sources said efforts were on to arrest fleeing Bamidele.

3 nabbed after attempt to abduct ex-Miss Nigeria

Three fake security operatives were arrested in Abeokuta, yesterday, after attempting to kidnap former Miss Nigeria, Feyi Sodipo.

The suspects who were two men and a woman were said to have claimed to be security operatives working for the organisers of Miss Nigeria beauty pageant. Vanguard gathered that the suspects who had been arrested by policemen attached to the governor’s office,  Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta reportedly took ex-Miss Nigeria in their car from Lagos to Abeokuta. It was further gathered that the suspects, who rode in a  Honda Shuttle car with number plate  LAGOS, KA 35 EKY were said to have ordered the former beauty queen to enter their car from Lagos to Abeokuta to retrieve her car gift, Hyundai with number plate LAGOS GGE 354 AJ  where she parked it. Attempt by the suspects to take  the car away from the Arcade ground of the Ogun State secretariat complex in Oke Mosan, Abeokuta, however, met stiff resistance as the mother of the ex-beauty queen raised the alarm that attracted people to the scene. The suspects  who  reportedly claimed  to be police officers, however, failed to identify themselves  when security operatives attached to the office of the state governor intervened. Governor  Ibikunle Amosun’s security attaché with instruction from  the command’s Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Muyiwa Adejobi, consequently arrested the suspects and took them to the Ibara Police Divisional headquarters in Abeokuta. Speaking with newsmen over the development, former Miss Nigeria,  said the people  had  been chasing her  round the  place, asking  her to surrender the car gift she got from the Akwa Ibom State government. Narrating her ordeal, Feyi said: “Organisers of the programme made many promises that they didn’t keep and now they want to collect the car given to me by Akwa Ibom State government. “They want to collect this gift from me because Ogun State government has given me another car so I must surrender the one given to me by the Akwa Ibom State governmet.” Feyi further told newsmen that  there was no part of the contract she signed with the organisers that they will retrieve the car from her, stressing that the Hyundai car was registered in her name. Feyi’s mother, Mrs. Mary Sodipo, told newsmen that she decided to raise alarm so that the suspects who had coerced her daughter to take them to where she was keeping the car would not harm her. At press time, the three suspects were being detained at Ibara police station for onwards transfer to the command’s headquarters in Eleweran.

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: 5-Star Arsenal Crushed Fenerbahce

Arsenal sticks a strong foot in the 2013/2014 UEFA Champions league as they left Turkey with a precious 3-0 lead which has them on course for a 16th successive Champions League campaign.

Kieran Gibbs, Aaron Ramsey and an Olivier Giroud penalty provided the away goals, all in the second half, that left the Gunners in a strong position to progress from this two-legged  play-off, but Arsene Wenger’s injury problems continued to pile up. Laurent Koscielny was forced off in the first half with a cut near his eye after being on the receiving end of a reckless high boot from Pierre Webo.  Arsenal physio Colin Lewin described it as a ‘horrible’ cut and one of the most ridiculous things he had seen but Webo escaped with a yellow card. Wojciech Szczesny left the field at the end with grazes down the side of his face and neck after a brave block at the feet of Moussa Sow while Per Mertesacker was elbowed by Bruno Alves who, like Webo, escaped with a booking. Even Gibbs, who played despite a head wound he picked up against Aston Villa on Saturday, disturbed the butterfly stitches in his brow during a frenzied goal celebration. Koscielny was already suspended from Saturday’s derby at Fulham following his red card against Villa but the squad is looking thin after so many fringe players left the club. Arsenal dominated last night against a disappointing Fenerbahce team, who did not wake up until they were two down.
 
Fine strike: Aaron Ramsey hit the second at the site of his first Arsenal goal in a 5-2 win against the same opponents in 2008
Fine strike: Aaron Ramsey hit the second at the site of his first Arsenal goal in a 5-2 win against the same opponents in 2008

 
Letting fly: Ramsey unleashes from distance to double Arsenal's advantage
Letting fly: Ramsey unleashes from distance to double Arsenal's advantage
 
When they visited the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in a Champions League group game in 2008, Arsenal soon drew the sting from the noisy Fenerbahce fans on their way to a 5-2 win. Wenger was looking for the same last night. His team settled well and enjoyed good passages of early possession, with Tomas Rosicky, preferred again to Lukas Podolski, combining well with Theo Walcott on the right and Santi Cazorla prominent on the left. Walcott did much of the early damage five years ago and he was simply too fast for left back Michal Kadlec. Fenerbahce, who, like Arsenal, started their domestic season with a defeat, were sloppy in possession and were pressed into careless mistakes by Arsenal’s business. Fenerbahce coach Ersun Yanal has been criticised for being too gung-ho but his players seemed uncomfortable as they tried a more intricate passing game but, for all their early superiority, Arsenal failed to work goalkeeper Volkan Demirel. The most strenuous activity for the Fenerbahce keeper in the first 15 minutes was to field the ball as a clearance from Bruno Alves crashed into Giroud and rebounded towards goal. At least this was more involvement than Szczesny had at the other end. He was limited to claiming a couple of high crosses and set pieces. Demirel reacted well to dash from his line and deny Walcott as the England winger darted inside in an attempt to connect with a pass from Cazorla. Rosicky collected the loose ball and delivered it back into the penalty box, where Giroud leapt to glance a header narrowly wide of the far post.
 
Up in arms: Arsene Wenger appeals after Laurent Koscielny (floored) was kicked in the face by Pierre Webo. The Fenerbahce striker was latterly booked
Up in arms: Arsene Wenger appeals after Laurent Koscielny (floored) was kicked in the face by Pierre Webo. The Fenerbahce striker was latterly booked
 
High foot: Koscielny catches Webo's boot in the face
High foot: Koscielny catches Webo's boot in the face

 
Injury concern: Koscielny was replaced by Carl Jenkinson as Arsenal were hit by another blow
Injury concern: Koscielny was replaced by Carl Jenkinson as Arsenal were hit by another blow
 
It triggered a purple patch for the London club. Ramsey whipped another effort just wide and Giroud went close again. Wenger must have been wondering if he would regret his side’s failure to capitalise on this pressure when his injury problems diverted his mind.  Jack Wilshere had already given the manager one scare when he twisted his troublesome right ankle in a midfield tangle with Mehmet Topal. Wilshere clutched his right foot and shot the bench a look of panic but he was able to continue. Fifteen minutes later, Wenger was forced into a defensive reshuffle when Koscielny was forced off after being cut near his right eye by the boot of Webo.

 
Anxious moments: Jack Wilshere went down in the first-half after an innocuous-looking clash, but the midfielder ran off the injury
Anxious moments: Jack Wilshere went down in the first-half after an innocuous-looking clash, but the midfielder ran off the injury

 
 
On the ball: Wilshere was back to his bustling best at the heart of Arsenal's midfield
On the ball: Wilshere was back to his bustling best at the heart of Arsenal's midfield

He challenged for the ball but Webo’s control was so poor that he followed his first touch with an overhead kick, which caught the Arsenal centre half full in the face. Wenger’s arms shot up in protest. The Fenerbahce fans jeered as referee Gianluca Rocchi produced a yellow card for Webo but Koscielny left the field after three minutes of treatment with a blood-stained towel held to his face. Wenger sent on Carl Jenkinson at right back and moved Sagna into the centre of defence but the boss was far from impressed by the referee’s leniency, stalking around in his technical area and grumbling at the fourth official and assistant referee. Arsenal remained in control without finding an away goal in the first half. Joseph Yobo made an excellent challenge to block Ramsey as he looked poised to finish an incisive move down the right.
 
Successful mission: Wenger looks set for another Champions League campaign - his 16th in succession
Successful mission: Wenger looks set for another Champions League campaign - his 16th in succession

 
Mixed emotions: Bacary Sagna and Mertesacker are relieved, but Mousa Sow can't believe his miss
Mixed emotions: Bacary Sagna and Mertesacker are relieved, but Mousa Sow can't believe his miss
 
Former Liverpool forward Dirk Kuyt lashed a shot over the bar from 20 yards at the start of the second half and, within minutes, Arsenal were ahead with a goal inspired by the touch and vision of Ramsey. The Wales midfielder turned on the edge of the penalty area and slid a pass to Walcott. His low cross was perfect for Gibbs, who swept in his fourth goal for the club, his first since January and his first in Europe at the far post. There was a wonderful chance for Walcott, which slipped by, but Ramsey made it two with a brilliant run and drive from 25 yards out after 64 minutes. Keeper Demirel should have saved it but that will not worry Arsenal as they attempt to get their season up and running. Giroud made it 3-0 from the spot after 77 minutes following a trip by Kadlec on Walcott.

Man Hacks Zuckerberg's Facebook Page - Writes on His Wall

A man who hacked into Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook page to expose a software bug is getting donations from hackers around the world after the company declined to pay him under a program that normally rewards people who report flaws.
Khalil Shreateh discovered and reported the flaw but was initially dismissed by the company's security team. He then posted a message on the billionaire's wall to prove the bug's existence. Now, Marc Maiffret, chief technology officer of cybersecurity firm BeyondTrust, is trying to mobilise fellow hackers to raise a $10,000 reward for Shreateh after Facebook refused to compensate him. Maiffret, a high school dropout and self-taught hacker, said on Tuesday he has raised about $9,000 so far, including the $2,000 he initially contributed. He and other hackers say Facebook unfairly denied Shreateh, a Palestinian, a payment under its "Bug Bounty" program. It doles out at least $500 to individuals who bring software bugs to the company's attention. "He is sitting there in Palestine doing this research on a five-year-old laptop that looks like it is half broken," Maiffret said. "It's something that might help him out in a big way." Shreateh uncovered the flaw on the company's website that allows members to post messages on the wall of any other user, including Zuckerberg's. He tried to submit the bug for review but the website's security team did not accept his report. He then posted a message to Zuckerberg himself on the chief executive officer's private account, saying he was having trouble getting his team's attention.
"Sorry for breaking your privacy," Shreateh said in the post.

America Celebrates No Bra Day

Some women resent the fact that society decided that they need to be strapped in.  Last month, when the United States celebrated its independence from England, women across the country celebrated their independence of their own bodies, from bras.  That's right. “National No Bra Day”, is a fact that was inconveniently discovered by people leaving their houses. Although our garments are normally attached, we are still ways to go to celebrate the right to bare brèasts or less. As the “National No Bra Day” Facebook page states, "bÅ‘obies are fantastic we all think so. What better way to express what we feel, than supporting a full day of freedom from bras?  "We are on board of “National No Bra Day”, because if they are large or small, functional or completely foreign, or even if they fit perfectly, bras can be really annoying. Sometimes you just have to go braless.  "Therefore lose the underwear, let your brèasts go and have a look at your favorite celebrity, who also goes braless just for National No Bra Day," the website states.

Mother Arrested After Chatting On The Internet While Her Baby Was Dead in Bed

Internet chat rooms can be very addictive. It can cause a person to be oblivious to their surroundings. A woman, whose baby boy was dead for almost a day while she was chatting on Internet forums, has been arrested in Japan, police said.  Yumiko Takahashi knew that her 19-month-old baby, Neo, had a high fever when she checked his temperature in the afternoon, but left him in bed unattended, police said.  A post mortem examination revealed that Neo had died at 2:00 pm, police said. His mother found his lifeless body the next morning, police said.  Takahashi, 29, was arrested on suspicion of child neglect which caused death, a police spokesperson in Otsu, western Japan said, adding that the delay in the arrest was due to agents "carrying out the necessary investigations."  Takahashi, whose first child died a few days after birth and lost another son after he fell from the balcony of her apartment, told police she had been busy on chat rooms.  "I sought solace in chatting online to connect with other people for three years since I was depressed by the loss of my son in an accident," the woman said in a statement. "Raising children is too complicated," she added.

Napoli Offer 15m Euros For Chelsea Midfielder Mikel

Italia club Napoli have made an official offer for Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel. The offer is believed to be 15 million Euros, according to report on eyefootball.com. The Nigeria international defensive midfielder may now be ready to listen to offers from the Italian club having fallen behind Ramires as first choice holding midfielder at Stamford Bridge. Napoli manager Rafa Benitez has been busy scouting Europe for new players and has already signed the likes of Pepe Reina and Gonzalo Higuain this summer. Benitez is now ready to raid his former club Chelsea with a move for Mikel. The Blues are believed to be eager to keep their midfielder unless a bid of more than 15 million Euros is received. The future of the Chelsea midfielder has been the subject of speculation,with the 26-year old heavily linked with a move out of Stamford Bridge. Mikel was initially said to be on the radar of two top Turkish clubs, Galatasaray and Trabzonspor, with French Ligue 1 side, Monaco equally in the mix. Galatasaray were the first to show interest in Mikel, with the player at the 2013 Confederations Cup in Brazil, confirming that he is not sure about his future at Chelsea. Mikel could be forced to consider his options at Chelsea, as he is set to miss out in the team this season, with the array of midfield options at Jose Mourinho’s disposal this season. The Nigerian midfielder was not part of the Chelsea squad that defeated Hull City 2-0 on Sunday.