The Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, on
Thursday denied that some companies indicted by the House of
Representatives over fuel subsidy scam were awarded new contracts to
import fuel. Alison-Madueke spoke with State House Correspondents at the Presidential Villa in Abuja. According to her, there is no way the companies indicted would have
been patronized by the Petroleum Products Pricing and Regulatory
Authority (PPRA). The minister said that all successful companies penciled down for the
importation of fuel were thoroughly screened before selection. The Minister was in the villa to attend the meeting between President
Goodluck Jonathan and the leadership of the Nigerian Bar Association
(NBA). “All companies were vetted carefully and only companies that were cleared were put on the list,’’ she said.
Saturday, 27 July 2013
Nasarawa Govt Begins Construction Of Drainages In Flood-Prone Areas In Lafia
The Nasarawa State Government has started the construction of
drainage along water ways in all flood-prone areas in Lafia township to
curb flooding. Gov. Umaru Al-makura, who stated this in Lafia on Friday during an
inspection tour of the flood-prone areas, said the measure would check
further floods in the state capital. ”The construction of more drains and culverts would divert storm
water that is often responsible for incessant flooding,” he said. The governor noted that frequent flooding of the areas prompted him to access their ecological problems. He said the present CPC-led administration was extremely committed to making life better for the citizens of the state. Al-makura promised that he would do everything humanly possible to
see that flood-related issues became a thing of the past in Lafia and
the entire state. He said that the Nasarawa Urban and Rural Development Board (NURDB)
had been mandated to come up with urban planning for the entire state. According to him, the gesture is to ensure that the state capital,
and indeed the whole state, are fully planned for against environmental
degradation. ”Prevention is better than cure, having looked at what happened last
year, we are trying to see that areas that are vulnerable to disaster of
flood are quickly attended to in good time,” he added. Al-makura however blamed the location of the state, especially Lafia,
the state capital, as the major reason responsible for the flood. The governor noted that community enlightenment would be intensified
so as to avert government from spending more resources to solve the
problem of floods. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the tour of the
flood-prone areas took the governor to Dunama Primary School St. and
Bukan Sidi area, among other areas that are worse-hit by last year’s
floods in Lafia. (NAN).
Two Brothers Arraigned For Robbery, Kidnap
An Ikeja Magistrate’s Court yesterday granted two brothers, Olayinka
Jagbojagbo,38,and Kabiru Jagbojagbo, 30, bail after being docked over
alleged kidnap and robbery. The suspects are facing a four-count charge of conspiracy, robbery,
kidnap and attempt to escape, preferred against them by the police. The police prosecutor, Inspector Iranus Nnamonu, told the court that
the accused and others at large, committed the alleged crime sometime in
January, 2013, at about 3:20pm, at 26, Jagbojagbo Villa Erode, in Epe
area of Lagos State. According to him, the accused and others at large received N8,500,000
ransom from ZTE Nigeria Limited, over a kidnapped Chinese national one
Mr Kuang Vingjiun, who is a staff of ZTE Nigeria Ltd, at Osborne Road in
Ikoyi. Nnamonu said that the suspects and other members of the gang, shared N200,000 each from the money realised as ransom. He said that the suspects procure charms for themselves and members
of their gang, from one Taiwo Aduloju, to enable them escape being
punished by the police. The prosecutor also alleged that the defendants kidnapped one
Ilogbonu Kingsley Ifeanyi, on May 13, 2013, between 6pm and 7pm, at 26,
Jagbojagbo Villa Erode, in Epe area of Lagos. He claimed that they unlawfully detained him, for four days in their
house and also in an uncompleted building at Imokun area of Epe, until a
ransom of N500,000 was paid for his release. According to the prosecutor, the offence committed is contrary to and
punishable under section 409, 16 (B) (C) (D) and 269 (1) (2) of the
criminal laws of Lagos State of Nigeria 2011. The defendants however pleaded not guilty to the four-count charges. Magistrate Abimbola Komolafe granted the defendants bail in the sum
of N500,000 each, with two responsible sureties each, one of the
sureties, who must be a landlord in Lagos state. The Magistrate also added that one of the sureties must be a blood
relation to the defendants, show payment of tax and address to be
verified by the police. The matter was adjourned to September 17, 2013, for mention.
Police Uncover Human Skulls, Concoction Pots In Kidnappers’ ‘Warehouse’
Men of the Delta State Police Command have uncovered a warehouse
operated by kidnappers and native doctors in Okwe community near Asaba,
recovering 16 human skulls and pots of concoction in the raid. State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Lucky Uyabeme, confirmed
that the detectives acted on a tip-off after rescuing a 60-year-old
mother of four from a four-man kidnap gang on her way from Onitsha to
Asaba, adding that the warehouse located inside a thick forest in the
community, stinks. “The detectives, on getting there, found nobody but recovered items
used by the kidnappers including foams of different kinds used by their
victims,” adding that “the detectives, on their way out of the bush,
arrested a middle-aged man who claimed to be a farmer and who is
currently helping the Police for further investigation. Mrs Ojukwu, a victim of the kidnappers, while narrating her ordeal,
said she was standing along the Onitsha/Owerri Road waiting for a taxi
to Asaba when a car operated by the gang stopped to forcibly take her
into the bush where she stayed for days before being rescued by the
police.
Russia won’t extradite Snowden to US – Kremlin
Moscow says security agency FSB is in talks with the FBI over
Snowden. But the whistleblower will not be extradited to the US, a
Kremlin spokesman said, adding he's sure the fugitive NSA contractor
will stop harming Washington if granted asylum in Russia. “Russia has never extradited anyone, and will not
extradite,” said Vladimir Putin’s spokesman Dmitry
Peskov. Follow
RT’s LIVE UPDATES on NSA leak fallout Russian President is not handling the case of the former CIA
employee Edward Snowden, as “Snowden has not made any request
that is subject to consideration by the head of the state,”
Peskov added. The issue of Snowden asking for temporary asylum “was not and
is not on Putin’s agenda,” Peskov continued, saying that it
lies in the sphere of the countries’ security agencies. Head of the FSB Aleksandr Bortnikov and FBI Chief Robert Mueller
are engaged in the discussion over Snowden, Putin’s spokesman
said Friday. Responding to the question of whether the former NSA contractor
will continue harming the US by leaking classified materials
while in Russia, and if the situation is going to undermine
Moscow’s ties with Washington, Peskov stressed that “the head
of state has expressed strong determination not to allow
this,” referring to Putin’s earlier statements. “I have no doubt that this will be the case, no matter how the
situation develops,” the spokesman added. Meanwhile, the US Senate threatened Thursday that it might impose sanctions
against any country that provides asylum to Snowden, including
revocation or suspension of trade privileges and
preferences. At the same time the US State Department does not believe that
imposing international sanctions because of Snowden would be of
any use, said State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki. “We have not seen the text of the proposed bill, but we feel
that in general legislation imposing sanctions under these
circumstances would not be helpful,” Psaki shared, adding
that she is not going “to make a prediction about any step we
may or may not take.”
“Our focus in this specific case is having Mr. Snowden
returned to the United States, and we still feel Russia has the
opportunity to do that and to take the right steps,” the
spokesperson stressed. The 30-year-old Snowden has been stripped of his US passport, and
is wanted by the United States on espionage charges for carrying
out one of the biggest security leaks in the
American history. The NSA leaker has been stuck in Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport
since his arrival from Hong Kong, and remains there while his
asylum plea is being reviewed by Russian immigration
authorities. His request followed weeks of searching for a way to leave the
country, which he had intended to pass through only briefly on
his way to another destination.
Group of Senate Democrats urges Obama to choose Janet Yellen for Fed chair
About a third of the Senate's Democrats have signed a letter urging President Obama to appoint the eminently qualified Janet Yellen
as chair of the Federal Reserve. The letter reportedly does not mention
Larry Summers, but it's clear that he is the unpalatable alternative
spurring the senators to campaign for Yellen: "There's a lot of concern among a lot of Democrats about an
appointment of Larry Summers to that long-term position as Fed
chairman," said Sen. Tom Harkin (D., Iowa), who signed the letter. "He
was one of the architects of getting rid of Glass-Steagall, of getting
rid of other regulations." [...] Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D., Calif.) said she had signed the letter, as
did Sen. Angus King, an Independent from Maine, who described Ms.
Yellen as an "excellent candidate'' with "a strong track record.'' Sen. Dick Durbin (D., Ill.), the assistant majority leader, also
confirmed the existence of the letter and said he also had signed it. He
said the letter was being circulated by Sen. Sherrod Brown, a liberal
Democrat from Ohio. Summers has been actively campaigning for the position of Fed chair for
years and, in recent weeks, has increasingly been spoken of as a likely
choice by Obama, a possibility that's been widely panned.
Yellen is vice chair of the Federal Reserve's board of governors, after
a long and solid career including stints at the Council of Economic
Advisors and leading the San Francisco Federal Reserve. What Summers has
that she lacks is what Felix Salmon describes
as a "generally toxic combination of ego and temper," but "surprisingly
excellent" skill at "cultivating people with real power." A Summers choice would lay the groundwork for future economic crisis
and would send a message that a bullying, egotistical man who's wrong
about everything is preferable to a highly qualified, non-bullying
woman.
Technology Running Your Home? 7 Tips For Limiting Kids’ Screen Time
According to licensed marriage and family therapist Cynthia M. Gill,
MA, LMFT, the four things that kids need most are: to connect; to feel
capable; to feel like they’re contributing; and the ability to handle
life’s inevitable ups and downs. “None of these goals is really attained by screen time.” For
instance, too much tech time robs kids of everything from making eye
contact to expressing themselves verbally. It also preempts more valuable activities such as family conversations and reading, said Pam Withers, co-author of the book Jump Starting Boys: Help Your Reluctant Learner Find Success in School and Life with Gill, and the award-winning author of 15 bestselling teen adventure books particularly popular with boys. As a parent, you probably already know that too much technology is
unhelpful. You might even have strict rules about screen time. But not
all rules are created equal. Unfortunately, some rules can actually
backfire and fuel tech battles in your home.
“Many parents either give up, give in, or use harsh punitive methods,” Gill said. Rules such as “if you disagree with me, you lose your phone, iPad
[or] laptop for a day” might work temporarily. But they don’t build
trust or nurture your relationship with your kids, she said. And they
don’t “impart self-control.” The below seven strategies, however, can help you set screen time for good without ruining your relationship with your kids.
1. Have a family meeting.
“Family meetings promote collaborative problem solving,” Gill said.
They also help kids feel heard and know their opinions matter to their
parents. Have everyone in the family take turns suggesting possible solutions.
Set ground rules, such as no interruptions or insults with calm
communication. Keep meetings short, such as 30 to 40 minutes if your
kids are teens. You can even set a timer.
2. Let your kids “earn” screen time.
They can earn screen time by doing constructive, creative or
charitable projects and activities. For instance, some parents let their
kids earn screen time by reading, Withers said. “[F]or every hour of pleasure reading they do, they are allowed half an hour of media time. This sends a clear message that reading is valued more than electronic-media time.” Gill knows a 14-year-old boy who’s earning screen time by creating an
original picture book for his 3-year-old brother. She also suggested
these service projects: “entertaining a younger sibling, raking the
neighbor’s yard, sorting laundry [and] reading to the neighbor’s
preschooler.”
3. Make cutting back a family affair.
Are you constantly on your phone? Does your laptop feel like another
limb? Before making rules about your kids’ screen time, consider the
kind of example you’re setting with your own tech use, Withers said. If you’re also committing to cutting your use, she suggested creating
a parent/kid challenge: “Pin a chart on the wall with both parents’ and
kids’ names over columns that track screen time.” Another idea is to create a “family electronic-device drop-box at the
front door for certain hours of the day — at least for dinnertime.” Gill knows a family who takes an entire day off every week from technology.
4. Avoid setting extreme limits.
For instance, don’t set rules such as no screen time for two weeks,
Gill said. “[It] is difficult to enforce, so the parent is tempted to
give in after a few days.”
5. Replace screen time with other enjoyable activities.
“[T]hat way you are not focusing on the negative ‘you can’t’ [but] rather [on] the positive ‘look what you can do,’” Gill said.
6. Let your kids pick their tech activities.
Set a time limit for using technology, such as two hours per day,
Gill said. ([T]he American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against
screen time for children under two years of age — urging more
interactive play instead — and recommends a maximum of one to two hours
of quality programming per day for older children,” Withers said.) Then give kids the freedom to figure out how they’ll spend that time.
Do they want to watch a TV show, play a video game or visit a favorite
website? This teaches kids to “pre-plan, and [helps them] feel respected as you help them choose,” Gill said.
7. Be interested in what your kids are watching.
“Express curiosity about what’s happening on their screens, rather
than trotting out judgment and lectures,” Gill said. Talk to your kids
about what they’re watching, how popular it is with their peers and,
most importantly, what they think of it, she said. “Teens love to be
regarded as experts, especially by their parents, if only for moments a
day.”
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)





.jpg)
